Friday, November 26, 2010

11/26/10

My first Thanksgiving away from home and family. Thankfully I have friends here. Not many 'traditional' Thanksgiving dishes, but we tried. It was even harder because besides Lucas and I, there were only 3 other Americans there. We had to explain the meaning of Thanksgiving to everyone there. I cooked a greenbean casserole and some sweet carrots and got several marriage proposals as reward for my hard work, haha. There was chicken instead of turkey, foccacia bread instead of rolls, no sweet potatoes, and lots and lots of wine. I still really missed the day-long Thanksgiving with family back in the States (and the sweet potatoes and stuffing), but it was interesting and fun to say the least to experience it with people from all over the world.


Staying on the cooking subject, I recently found this at the market:
It's Romanesco cauliflower. I knew that picking it up and I've always wanted to try it, but it's hard to find back in the US. I cooked it and tried it and it was okay. It tastes like a mix of cauliflower and broccoli, only more... earthy? I don't know, it has a weird taste to it that I wasn't 100% keen on, though it could be because of the recipe I used it in. Maybe I'll try it later on with just simple butter and salt and pepper like I usually eat my cauliflower or broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment