Monday, September 27, 2010

9/27/10

So things are better and worse.

Things happened back home yesterday and made me even more stressed out and depressed. I went out to dinner with Lucas to an 'American/NFL' bar that was mostly filled with American student douche bags. The food was really good though. The rest of the night wasn't so good and I didn't get much sleep.

Woke up exhausted in the morning, but I obviously could not have missed the first day. We get going and are some of the first people there. Eventually everyone shuffles in and we all sit down. The director of the drawing department introduced herself and blahblah. Then we all had to introduce ourselves and say something about our background and all that fun stuff. I was surprised to find out that most of the people there don't have much of a real art background. There are some very interesting people literally from all over the world in the class, though. Ireland, South Africa, Venezuela, Hong Kong, Sweden, Poland, Canada, France, Hawaii, Ukraine, Germany, and I believe the rest are just from all over America. No other Chicagoans, though.
I can honestly say I was bored most of the day. She went over the student handbook and all that fun stuff. Then she talked about the technique that they teach here. Which is something I've been doing for the past 3 years and learned about 5 times over.
One of the instructors then took us to Zechhi, the local art store. Very tiny and very basic. Not much in the way of carriers, which is one of the things I was hoping to get. We get our stuff and it's break, so Lucas and I head back to the apartment to drop stuff off and grab things we already had that we needed, then get back to the Academy.

We eat lunch and chat with some of the other students. Kinda made friends with the Venezuelan (don't remember her name) and the Irish girl, Stephanie. We also talked with an American girl who has been living in Florence for the past two years working in the museums.
Then we pick our Bargue drawing to copy, and head to our studios. One student get the studio in the morning, one in the evening. Some times there's two students in there at a time, depending on the room you are assigned. Thankfully I get a studio cubicle to myself for the morning. We set everything up and start copying.

4pm rolls around and most of the students leave. We didn't get a model session because there was no real time. But I get the 3 hour studio first, the hour for lunch, then 3 hours with the model, then an hour, then 2 hours of anatomy, art history, or more model work depending on the day. So I'm pretty much there from 8:30am until 7-7:30pm.
The only problem so far is that I tried the internet there and for some reason the password is not working. The two Swedish guys were trying to get on the internet and couldn't as well. I really hope it's not too long of a problem because I have a feeling the internet there is A LOT faster than it is here in the apartment. Where it takes 5 minutes or more to load a page.

After we left the Academy (around 5?) we went with the American girl, Rachael, to COOP to do a little shopping. Went our separate ways and Lucas and I brought everything back to the apartment, then headed back out to Zechhi to grab some things we needed still for tomorrow. We stopped at a little Asian/Indian food store on the way back and we also stopped at this Dungeons & Dragons/Magic/general geekery store. They have the most it's so ugly its adorable statuettes of cats and owls and trolls. I really want to get one but I'm afraid of the price and I have a feeling I would have no where to really put it anyway.

Making fennel soup tonight for dinner. I should probably go check on that right now.

Again. I am so freaking exhausted. I walked around for a good portion of the day and I haven't eaten much and didn't sleep much last night.

That's another problem: trying to figure out lunch every day. There's not much to really make for lunch here that wouldn't need a fridge to keep it cool or a microwave to heat it up and I don't think the Academy has either. We'll have to see.

And it turns out that the registrar told me to just have all our mail sent to the Academy. So for anyone who wants to send me ANYTHING, here's the address.

Jessie Koepke
Via delle Casine 21/R
50122 Florence, Italy


I completely lost my train of thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment