Tuesday, October 5, 2010

10/5/10

Ugh. This Bargue drawing is killing me. I've already put about 20 hours into it and the teachers and assistants are still finding things to make me work on. Everything is generally down and correct, they're just being nit-picky. But I understand because that's the point of us doing them, to get every little detail and measurement correct and to train our eye to see correctly, eventually without having a copy of something there to guide us.

Lucas did a neat little write up on his blog about the history of Bargue drawings if anyone is interested.
Click Here for a light history of Bargue drawings.

We're also 'starting' our first charcoal drawing. This entire week we're just doing pencil sketches/drawings of the model in the pose and then next week we're starting in actual charcoal of the same pose. I did one pencil drawing yesterday but I know I went too fast and so today I'm going to try to just work on the basic proportion lines rather than work it into a drawing.

I'm surprised at how much I've actually slowed down in my work process and I haven't even been in classes for two weeks yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment