Sunday, October 3, 2010

10/3/10

Yesterday was a pretty filled day. We woke up and headed for the Palazzo Pitti or Pitti Palace. We stopped at Ponte Vecchio and took a couple of tourist pictures, like everyone should when they visit the bridge.
Finally got to Pitti and met some other classmates there. Our Art History teacher met us there as well and acted pretty much as a tour guide, though more artist trained than your basic tour guide. It made a lot of the paintings more interesting learning about the history and the artist (though I was familiar with a good deal of them already), but also to have a trained artist talk and explain about the lighting and color and composition, etc of the paintings.
Taking photos wasn't allowed, but I snuck a few with my phone. At least I wasn't like a couple people that I saw who were a little obvious about taking pictures, especially the guy I saw with the large professional nikon. He's lucky there wasn't one of the employees in the room at the time.



I could not resist sneaking a picture of a Caravaggio. It's so fulfilling to see his work in person finally. Did I mention he's one of my favorite artists? Nothing but stunning work. The guy was a little crazy, but hey, all artists are right?
After we went through most of the Palace, we headed down to the courtyard and some of the students got some pizza and coffee and we stood/sat around and talked for a while. Then we all went our separate ways.
Lucas and I ended up walking past Ponte Vecchio and down to the next bridge east, trying to find a place away from the tourists to get a bite to eat. We ended up walking through Piazza Santa Croce where the International Market was going on.
There were booths from most of the European countries. There were booths for food, jewelry, beer, clothes, baubles, incense, ornaments, statuettes, kitchenware, music, and so much more. I have photos, but they are on my camera so I have to wait for my cord before I can share.
We got 3 pretzels bigger than our heads. One was a pizza, the other a hazelnut and caramel, and the other was like a donut, only in pretzel form. We sat and enjoyed the donut one, saving the other two for dinner.
We finally found cheese other than just white cheese there too! We got two different types of gouda that were actually orange gouda and one of them tastes almost exactly like sharp cheddar. Lucas also got a herb cheese that I didn't much care for. There was a pesto cheese as well that was interesting, but much too pesto-y for my taste.
There were so many things I wanted to get there, but I knew I shouldn't be spending my money on random things. Plus there's no doubt that everything was marked up anyway.

Today starts the 'real' week of school. I will now be going there probably 5 days a week from 8:30am until probably 7:15pm. I'm going to be even more exhausted, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment